Tiki’s Toxins List



Everyone knows I’m a big fan of edibles. If it smells tasty and fits in my mouth, chances are I’ll try to ingest it. But my Good Dog family always tells me I can’t just consume stuff willy-nilly … some things may give me a tummy ache, others could cause permanent damage or worse. So for this week’s blog, I’ve compiled a list of household items that are harmful to dogs. Most of you may already be familiar with parts of this list, but a few of these might surprise you, so read on!



People mouthwash. I know my breath could use freshening, but many mouthwashes contain boric acid, which is toxic to dogs.


Cocoa mulch. The cocoa gives it an appetizing scent, but dogs should not ingest it.


Any household cleaner with ammonia, bleach, chlorine, or formaldehyde. These chemicals do serious damage to doggie livers and kidneys.


Antifreeze. This is a no-brainer, but I still want to include it on my list. The sweet taste attracts animals, and it is deadly even in small quantities.


Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or any sponge-like product). Even if it the label reads “non-toxic,” it can still expand in our tummies and cause intestinal blockage.


Laundry detergent and dryer sheets. The dryer sheets smell especially sweet to us dogs but can irritate the tongue and mouth, cause digestive issues and even death.


Pesticides, including mouse and ant killers. Even if a little bit touches our pawpads, it can cause a host of issues and you should call our vet immediately.


Fertilizers and plant foods, especially those containing deet. These products are easily accessible and fatal to dogs.


De-icing salts. The salt is a very annoying paw irritant and can also be poisonous if licked.


Mothballs, which taste yucko anyway and can cause seizures.


Yeast dough. This is another ingestable that can expand in the tummy and cause blockage.


Macadamia nuts. While tasty, these are especially dangerous with chocolate. They can cause a wide range of issues, from doggie depression to paralysis.


Xylitol. This is an artificial sweetener found in gum, candy, toothpastes and diet foods. It can spike insulin levels and cause liver failure.


String, yarn, rubber bands and dental floss. While fun to eat, they can tie up our tummies and cause serious intestinal damage or death.


Petroleum-based products, like gasoline, lubricants or solvents. Petroleum is severely toxic and causes a host of issues, so if your pup gets gum or something sticky in his hair, be sure not to use a petroleum-based product to remove it.


Azalea, English ivy, foxglove, lilies, mistletoe and philodendron plants. A few of these are common household plants, but they can make dogs very sick.


Human medications, both prescription and non-prescription. While helpful to you, human meds can cause anything from seizures to liver failure to death in dogs.


The usual suspects. Most of you may know onions, garlic, mushrooms, grapes, raisins and avocados are harmful to dogs, but a reminder never hurts.


Cans. I personally find it fun to lick people-food remnants from cans, but the sharp edges can cut tongues, and kitties can get their heads stuck inside.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.